The decision to quit smoking is one of the most beneficial health decisions you can make. The benefits are both immediate and long-term:
- After 8 hours: Your heart rate and blood pressure begin to normalize.
- After 2 days: Your sense of taste and smell starts to improve.
- After 3 days: Your lung capacity begins to increase.
- Between 2 to 8 weeks: Your skin and hair regain a healthier appearance, your skin becomes more elastic, wrinkles fade, and your breathing improves.
- After 3 months: The chronic cough disappears, and any initial weight gain stabilizes with healthy eating and regular physical activity.
- After 5 years: Your risk of lung cancer and heart disease is significantly reduced.
- After 15 years: Your risk of lung cancer approaches that of a non-smoker.
In addition to these health benefits, quitting smoking also saves you money and protects your loved ones from the harmful effects of second-hand smoke.